Provigil is available in a format of 100-mg and 200-mg oral tablets. It is a doctor’s prescribed medicine that is used to heal the symptoms of extreme sleepiness that may be caused by Narcolepsy or shift work sleep disorder. This medicine contains some inactive ingredients, which may cause allergic reactions or different issues. Consult with your pharmacist or physician for further details.
How to Identify It?
Provigil 200 mg generic tablet is a whitish oral tablet which comes with an imprint of PROVIGIL 200 MG on it. It is easily available in the market, so do not get confused between original and duplicate medicines. Always go for a thrust and user-friendly store.
Provigil is available in two different variants- Provigil 100 mg and 200mg and is prescribed in different conditions.
- Dose for Obstructive Sleep Apnea- Take 200 mg orally, daily once in the morning.
- Dose for Narcolepsy- Take 200 mg orally, daily once in the morning.
- Dose for Shift Work Sleep Disorder- Take 200 mg orally, daily once 1 hour before starting your work shift.
For more details consult your doctor.
Who should avoid Provigil 200 mg?
- Avoid taking it if you are allergic to this medicine.
- Avoid using this medicine if you are using any other opioid medicines, herbal products or vitamins which may cause danger if get interacts with Provigil.
- Avoid using it if you have a history of drug addiction or you are a drug-addicted person.
- A breastfeeding mother should not use it as it can cause life-threatening withdrawal symptoms.
- A pregnant lady should avoid using it.
Before using this medicine you need to inform your doctor about all of your previous health issues, your family member’s health condition and all the medicines, vitamins, opioids and herbal products that you are using.
Inform your doctor if you have;
- high blood pressure
- history of alcoholism or drug addiction
- kidney disease;
- angina (chest pain)
- cirrhosis or other liver problems
- heart disease
- history of heart attack
- a history of mental illness
Tell your doctor;
- If you are pregnant or planning to have a baby, cause this medicine may harm your baby.
- About your birth control contraceptives because Provigil can make specific hormonal contraception(injections, birth control pills, skin patches, implants, and vaginal rings) less powerful and may not do its job perfectly to prevent pregnancy. So, talk with your doctor and ask for alternatives.
- If you are breastfeeding a baby. This medicine may pass through breast milk and the baby may start depending upon the drug.
- If you are younger than 17 years old.
Methods to Use
- Use this medicine with a doctor’s prescription.
- Check the expiry date before buying it.
- For obstructive sleep apnea– Take this medicine once in the morning orally, with or without food as directed by your doctor. This treatment may need a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. The combination of treatment with Provigil and CPAP may be necessary to treat your condition in the best possible way. Remember not to stop using CPAC while you are sleeping until your doctor tells you to do so.
- For Narcolepsy– Take the medicine with or without food, once per day. Your doctor may divide your dose into two(one in the morning and another at noon) for better results.
- For shift work sleep disorder– Take the medicine by mouth 1 hour before starting your work, with or without food once per day.
- Before using this medicine, inform your doctor about all your ongoing medication, and if you are using any vitamins, antibiotics, herbal products, or medicine for depression, anxiety, seizures, muscle relaxer, sleeping pill or any opioids.
- Your doctor may change the dosage amount or timing according to your health condition.
- Never switch to a different brand or medicine without taking permission.
- Always keep a track of your tablets. Do not share the doses with others, a single dose can cause severe side effects or death.
- An excessive amount of misuse can cause overdose, addiction or death.
- Always flush the leftover medicines to reduce the risk of misuse.
- Storage of this medicine should be done properly, keep it away from heat, moisture and rain.
What medications, foods, supplements, herbal products and drugs need to be avoided?
Provigil can get interact with several drugs, medicines, foods and supplements and this interaction can cause medicine errors or side effects. Some interactions may decrease the effectiveness some may increase the chances of side effects, these happen under different conditions.
Medicines need to avoid-
Antifungal medications such as:
- fluconazole (Diflucan)
- itraconazole (Sporanox, Onmel)
Antiviral medications such as:
- Viekira Pak
- ritonavir (Norvir)
- cobicistat (Tybost)
- darunavir (Prezista)
- Viekira XR
Heart medications such as:
- diltiazem (Taztia XT, Tiazac, others)
- amiodarone (Pacerone, Nexterone)
- verapamil (Calan, Verelan)
Herbal products and Supplements need to avoid-
- Indian snakeroot
- acacia rigidula
- bitter orange
- green tea
- St. John’s wort
Drugs need to be Avoid-
- Omeprazole (Prilosec)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek)
- Propranolol (Inderal LA, InnoPran XL)
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Comipramine (Anafranil)
Foods and Beverages need to avoid-
- Fruit juice( orange or grapefruit juice)
- tea (such as black, green, and oolong)
MAOIs Need to be avoided-
- phenelzine (Nardil)
- selegiline (Eldepryl)
- isocarboxazid (Marplan)
- linezolid (Zyvox)
- tranylcypromine (Parnate)
While using Provigil 200 mg generic tablet you may face severe and common side effects as it is a very powerful medicine. Try to avoid misusing it and to take it in the proper possible way. Inform your doctor about your health condition or if you are facing any of the following side effects.
Severe Side Effects
- unusual thoughts or behavior
- being more active or talkative than usual
- chest pain
- trouble breathing
- uneven heartbeats
- dark urine
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how minor you think it might be
- skin rash or hives
- blisters or peeling
- suicidal thoughts or actions
- trouble swallowing
- swelling in your legs
- mouth sores,
- fever, shortness of breath;
- swelling in your face, eyes, lips, tongue, or throat
Common Side Effects
- back pain
- upset stomach
- stuffy nose
- feeling nervous or anxioussleep problems (insomnia)