Adderall XR 20 mg is the combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. It is intended to cure people who are suffering from ADHD and Narcolepsy. It works in the brain and nerves by controlling certain unbalanced chemicals. It also helps to increase the listening skill capacity and controls behavioural problems. It is an FDA-approved and most prescribed medicine by doctors.
- Adderall XR 20 mg is popularly used to treat Attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD).
- It also helps to cure Narcolepsy in both children and adults.
- It controls behaviour problems.
- It helps to increase listening skills.
Information you need to tell your doctor before using it-
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to amphetamine and dextroamphetamine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to have a baby. Your doctor may need to change medicines to keep you and your baby healthy.
- Tell your doctor if you ever had or have; heart problems or a congenital heart defect, hardening of the arteries, heart disease, glaucoma, vascular disease, overactive thyroid, coronary artery disease, a history of drug or alcohol addiction, high blood pressure, severe anxiety and agitation.
- Tell your doctor if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the last 14 days.
- Tell your doctor if you are addicted to drugs and alcohol.
- Tell your doctor if you or any one of your family have; liver disease, High blood pressure, Depression, mental illness, anxiety, Tourette’s syndrome, an abnormal brain wave test, seizures, epilepsy, blood circulation problems in the hands or feet, Heart problems, bipolar disorder, kidney disease, and suicidal thoughts.
Direction to use
- This medicine should be used properly under the guidance of your doctor.
- Do not exceed the doses or stop taking this medicine without anyone’s permission to avoid overdose and withdrawal symptoms like sleep problems, mood changes, severe tiredness and depression.
- Always follow the instruction sheet and prescription for dosage information.
- Take the tablet without crushing, chewing or breaking it once in the morning with or without food as prescribed. Follow the same routine daily to get a good result.
- If you are facing difficulty while swallowing the capsule, then mix it with applesauce and consume the whole mixture. Do not keep it for further use.
- Never use expired or broken tablets.
- Do a regular health check-up and keep updated about your improvements to your doctor.
- At a point, your doctor may need to change the amount of the dose to get good results.
- Talk with your doctor if your body is asking for more Adderall.
- Do not share the medicine with others without a prescription, especially someone with a history of drug abuse.
- Keep it in mind to store the tablet in a safe place away from anyone’s reach.
- Disposal of Adderall XR 20 mg should be done in a proper way.
Cons of Adderall XR 20 mg
Every medicine has advantages and disadvantages at the same time. Adderall XR 20 mg has both common and severe side effects if not used properly.
Common Side Effects-
- sleep problems
- Loss of interest in sex
- loss of appetite
- increase blood pressure
- heart palpitations
- stomach pain
- difficulty having an orgasm
- Increased heart rate
- stomach pain
- loss of appetite
- weight loss
- Blurred vision
Serious Side Effects-
- Severe headache- feeling unsteady, high fever, loss of coordination, slurred speech, confusion, arm or leg weakness, trouble walking, very stiff muscles, profuse sweating, or tremors.
- Serious eye symptoms – sudden vision loss, blurred vision, eye pain or swelling, tunnel vision, or seeing halos around lights.
- Serious heart symptoms – fluttering in your chest, fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeats, sudden dizziness, shortness of breath or lightheartedness
- new behavioural problems
- feeling cold
- unexplained wounds
- skin colour changes to fingers or toes
- muscle twitches (tics)
- vision changes
- trouble breathing
- chest pain
Talk to your doctor for more details, there may be some symptoms left that have not been listed here. In case you are facing any of the symptoms call for a medical emergency immediately.
What To Do If You Overdose?
If your body is asking for more of the medicine than recommended, then contact your doctor immediately to avoid overdose. Misusing and exceeding your prescribed doses are other reasons for overdose.
Some overdose symptoms include;
- Dark coloured urine
- feeling light-headed
- muscle twitches
- rapid breathing
- muscle pain
- stomach pain
- uneven heartbeats
Some symptoms may not have been listed here, seek emergency medical help in case you are experiencing any of the above symptoms.
What To Do If You Missed A Dose?
Do not get panic if you have missed a dose by mistake. Take it as soon as possible or if it is already the time for the next dose then skip the previous one. Do not take both doses at a time to lower the risk of overdose, addiction and death.
What to avoid?
- Avoid drinking alcohol or consuming drugs.
- Avoid doing hazardous things like driving, which requires you to be alert.
- Avoid drinking fruit juice and caffeine-containing beverages.
- Avoid taking vitamin C and acidic foods while you are using Adderall XR 20 mg.
- If you are pregnant or planning to have a baby then it is better to avoid this medicine to reduce the risk of low birth weight, premature birth or withdrawal symptoms in the baby.
- Avoid breastfeeding while you are on your medication, it may harm the newborn baby by passing through the breast milk.
- Your doctor may register your name in another pregnancy register and may suggest you some other medicine or precautions to keep yourself and your baby healthy.
How To Store Adderall XR 20 mg?
- Store the medicine at room temperature between 20-25 ° celsius.
- Keep it in an airtight container away from children, light, moisture and rain.
- Make sure no one could reach it, especially someone with drug addiction or abuse.
- Dispose of expired or broken tablets should be done properly. You can also flush it to reduce the risk of danger.
Adderall XR 20 mg Interaction with others
Do not use certain medicines, drugs and food beverages while using Adderall XR 20 mg. It may cause serotonin syndrome. Some symptoms of serotonin syndrome are; seizures, agitation, coma, hallucinations, fast heart rate, hearing or seeing things that are not real, dizziness, sweating, feeling hot, muscle rigidity or shakiness, vomiting, nausea or diarrhoea. Avoid using the following things to reduce medication errors.
- Medicines Interaction- Parkinson’s disease medicine, heartburn medicine, blood thinner(Coumadin, warfarin, Jantoven), blood pressure medicine, cold medicine, migraine headaches medicine, seizure medicine, and allergy medicine.
- Drugs Interaction- Sertraline tricyclic, Buspirone, Paroxetine, Citalopram, Lithium, antidepressants, and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
- Foods and Beverages Interaction- chocolate, fruit juice, some herbal supplements, coffee, teas, Acidic foods, colas, vitamin c and alcohol.
Alternatives to Adderall XR 20 mg
Some alternatives that can be used instinct of Adderall XR 20 mg are listed below;
- Focalin XR